Peter Franck’s legal services are geared specifically to the
creative arena. His Domain name “culturelaw.com” reflects his interest and his commitment to creative culture.
- Review and negotiation of recording and digital agreements offered to artists
- Advice regarding contracts relating to independent production and distribution
- Protecting and registering © copyright, (song writers’ protection) and protecting and registering ℗ copyright (sound recording)
- Licensing and “covering” compositions
- Internal band agreements and business formation
- Independent record labels, agreements with artists, writers, and other creative personnel
Video projects involve multiple contracts and relationships, from optioning screen rights to agreements with directors to distribution agreements. We also review clearances and other documents necessary to obtain Errors and Omissions insurance, which is required by most distributors.
- Review, negotiation and enforcement of publishing agreement terms
- Review of royalties statements for general compliance with terms of contract
- Review of older book publishing contracts to determine ownership of subsidiary rights such as film, TV, or merchandising
Multimedia and Web productions typically take materials from a large number of sources. We assist producers in determining when clearances or other permissions are needed. We can also negotiate on behalf of our clients.
- LPFM Licensing and transfer issues at the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
- Corporation for Public Broadcasting Compliance
- In Low Power FM (LPFM), assistance with FCC issues, joint use, timeshare and other agreements, music licensing